Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Political System
its great info,and broadly accords with what I read around 2017 and 18,it appears things are broadly similar now as they were then

(i was a avid reader of fr24,its certainly much better than the beeb) 

how do you think things are set to turn out in the forseeable future in france? 

oh btw,naga got un-censured and apologised to lol looks like the pressure worked. her co presenter who's white was subject to a complaint as well, but that got mysteriously suppressed by the beeb. is it outright racism?

I support naga but the plot smacks of tory revenge against the bbc,theyve badly reported on boris and theyre whipping up a frenzy.

your ex french prez, mr chirac is subject to a horrible smear in the uk right wing gutter press by ex MI6 head, richard dearlove: he said that chirac was bribed by saddam not to join in with the iraq war. guess whos mostly reporting it? russia today and turkce newspapers....it looks like fake news spread by evil old anachronistic bond villains. its a disgrace.
For a while now, I've been mystified over the quietness of British business towards Brexit. There is a small, noisy, group in favour (Dyson,  Martin, etc), but anti-Brexit comments from business have not gained much traction.

I disagree completely with this gentleman's comments about the role of Johnson's hedge fund donors (because I think that's Johnson's primary motivation apart from chronic narcissism), but the remainder of the article seems to cover the topic pretty well:

Brexit is a necessary crisis – it reveals Britain’s true place in the world

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...lace-world
excellent point jacques
heres another that you lot have made many times..
Why better adult education in the UK could be key to solving the wounds
https://www.euronews.com/2019/10/07/why-...y-brexit-v
also
https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit-vot...ortunities
Quote:The poorest households, with incomes of less than £20,000 per year, were much more likely to support leaving the EU than the wealthiest households, as were the unemployed, people in low-skilled and manual occupations, people who feel that their financial situation has worsened, and those with no qualifications.

Groups vulnerable to poverty were more likely to support Brexit. Age, income and education matter, though it is educational inequality that was the strongest driver. Other things being equal, support for leave was 30 percentage points higher among those with GCSE qualifications or below than it was for people with a degree. In contrast, support for leave was just 10 points higher among those on less than £20,000 per year than it was among those with incomes of more than £60,000 per year, and 20 points higher among those aged 65 than those aged 25.

Support for Brexit varied not only between individuals but also between areas. People with all levels of qualifications were more likely to vote leave in low-skill areas compared with high-skill areas. However, this effect was stronger for the more highly qualified. In low-skilled communities the difference in support for leave between graduates and those with GCSEs was 20 points. In high-skilled communities it was over 40 points.  In low-skill areas the proportion of A-level holders voting leave was closer to that of people with low-skills. In high-skill areas their vote was much more similar to graduates.

Groups in Britain who have been ‘left behind’ by rapid economic change and feel cut adrift from the mainstream consensus were the most likely to support Brexit. These voters face a ‘double whammy’. While their lack of qualifications put them at a significant disadvantage in the modern economy, they are also being further marginalised in society by the lack of opportunities that faced in their low-skilled communities. This will make it extremely difficult for the left behind to adapt and prosper in future.
(11-10-19, 05:16 PM)Ranter. Wrote: Why better adult education in the UK could be key to solving the wounds 

Adults are a product of their parents and "school/state education", once adulthood is reached, most citizens choose to educate themselves thru the media. 

Tabloid press in the UK has existed for decades, with a lot of brands, and all among the top selling papers.
This does not happen in my country, and I don't know where in continental Europe the same reality exists.

So a handful of people educated for decades the English, serious press attempts to correct misinformation was in vain, they did not reach the "people".

Parents and "school/state education", failed in offering filter capabilities to today's adults.

Various attempts of tabloid press have failed in Portugal, because the people where not available to go so low.
(09-10-19, 01:12 PM)JacquesG Wrote: For a while now, I've been mystified over the quietness of British business towards Brexit. There is a small, noisy, group in favour (Dyson,  Martin, etc), but anti-Brexit comments from business have not gained much traction.

I disagree completely with this gentleman's comments about the role of Johnson's hedge fund donors (because I think that's Johnson's primary motivation apart from chronic narcissism), but the remainder of the article seems to cover the topic pretty well:

Brexit is a necessary crisis – it reveals Britain’s true place in the world

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...lace-world

The UK in the EU would make us stronger in the world stage, no doubt about that.
But the English issue within the UK, makes the UK a virus carrier, nothing better than a decade in quarantine.  

To end the civil war, Brexit must happen.
(12-10-19, 06:41 PM)SwaziKing Wrote: The UK in the EU would make us stronger in the world stage, no doubt about that.
But the English issue within the UK, makes the UK a virus carrier, nothing better than a decade in quarantine.  

To end the civil war, Brexit must happen.

Yawn. Tired, fashionable Anglophobia again: Celts from Wales and Northern Ireland are intelligent and just like we mainland Europeans, and so are the gallant Caledonians (Scots): only the English are 1) thick 2) cunning 3) fascist.

Actually London voted to remain. Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Brighton and various other places voted to remain. South Wales, for its part, was one of the strongest Leave-voting places. Most Unionists in NI are thought to have voted Leave.

Which is not saying that the EU shouldn't want the UK out. Just try not to fall into tiresome inaccuracies: you wouldn't like falsehoods spread about the Portuguese population, so try to get the facts straight about the UK...
(12-10-19, 06:16 PM)SwaziKing Wrote: Adults are a product of their parents and "school/state education", once adulthood is reached, most citizens choose to educate themselves thru the media. 

Tabloid press in the UK has existed for decades, with a lot of brands, and all among the top selling papers.
This does not happen in my country, and I don't know where in continental Europe the same reality exists.

So a handful of people educated for decades the English, serious press attempts to correct misinformation was in vain, they did not reach the "people".

Parents and "school/state education", failed in offering filter capabilities to today's adults.

Various attempts of tabloid press have failed in Portugal, because the people where not available to go so low.

by blood,I am largely portuguese myself, not that it means anything one way or the other but my family on one side were goan-portuguese Smile

anyway you are probably correct, idk anything about the media in portugal,tell me more about it if you are willing?

ive seen tabloid looking news from other eu countries, not clued up about their circulation but they did not look trivial. 

on a slightly different note, I am impressed by the portuguese premier's handling of trump ect. I read up a bit on what PTs been up to, but that was many months ago, historically I only know the basics where its concerned.
(12-10-19, 07:23 PM)TheWriggler Wrote: Yawn. Tired, fashionable Anglophobia again: Celts from Wales and Northern Ireland are intelligent and just like we mainland Europeans, and so are the gallant Caledonians (Scots): only the English are 1) thick 2) cunning 3) fascist.

Actually London voted to remain. Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Brighton and various other places voted to remain. South Wales, for its part, was one of the strongest Leave-voting places. Most Unionists in NI are thought to have voted Leave.

Which is not saying that the EU shouldn't want the UK out. Just try not to fall into tiresome inaccuracies: you wouldn't like falsehoods spread about the Portuguese population, so try to get the facts straight about the UK...

I don´t need to argue your first paragraph, you did it for me with your second paragraph... thanks.

The UK Scots, Irish and Welsh, due to their population size within the UK are subject to the will of the English (not just Londoners...).
The Scots and the Irish are leaving the EU against their will because unlike a real country, they don't have a right to veto such a decision made by the English and Welsh.

"Which is not saying that the EU shouldn't want the UK out" Well time made me tired of Brexit, just wish that the 31st Oct is the end of it. Arguing the future of Europe (EU) pleasures me the most.

Portuguese population is just as diverse as any other, but we have been smart enough to haven't fallen into the populist trap, just like almost half of the citizens of the UK, almost half is short.
(12-10-19, 09:32 PM)Ranter. Wrote: by blood,I am largely portuguese myself, not that it means anything one way or the other but my family on one side were goan-portuguese Smile

on a slightly different note, I am impressed by the portuguese premier's handling of trump ect. I read up a bit on what PTs been up to, but that was many months ago, historically I only know the basics where its concerned.

Our PM is also a Goan-Portuguese from his father side...
I don´t have much sympathy for him, because of his opportunistic seizure of power (no doubt he is a professional politician).
These last 4 years he governed the nation in election mode, with the goal of an overall majority in these last elections, he failed, we aren't expecting an easy ride.

PS. Media... Tabloid press in Portugal does not last long, they just come and go. We have one newspaper/cable TV that can be considered Tabloid (CM) it is mostly about crime, celebrity scandals etc.
In this election campaign because of a lie (fake news) a senior citizen had to be protected by the PM's security forces from the PM's fury Smile Smile
During the election campaign a tv station had a segment called "Polígrafo", a fact-checking site of dubious news.