Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Political System
It does. Most certainly.

Thank you so much.

I found the BBC reports surprisingly biased and not up to their reputation. 

Here is a link to the Media sector of the Council of Europe. They have plenty of publication that warn against the attacks, obvious or more perniciously hidden, to the freedom of expression.

https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/media
Interesting interview with Paul Lever, a retired British ambassador:

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/media/uploads/files/Lever.pdf

He also wrote a book ‘Berlin Rules’, which wasn’t entirely positively reviewed by Kurt Huebner:

https://www.europenowjournal.org/2017/11...erman-way/

Quote from the interview:

“In my experience you don’t necessarily get your way by needlessly irritating or humiliating the people you’re negotiating with. You are more likely to get your way if you can find an outcome which you can represent as satisfactory from their point of view as well.”
It seems this basic rule of relationship is not taught in the new Boris Johnson school of diplomacy.

Thanks for the links
Excellent article and very radical. If the Dutch are that upset with the British, it means they have lost so much goodwill in three years that it will take time to recover from this event.
(15-09-19, 02:01 PM)ClairefromFR Wrote: It seems this basic rule of relationship is not taught in the new Boris Johnson school of diplomacy.

Thanks for the links

thats because,at heart,hes a journo hack and not any good as a politician. hes the same boJo who got fired for making up a quote in the nineteen eighties.

did you watch him in the commons? ad hominem personal attacks,not answering the questions,and daily express level childishness were the order of the day
"the only giant chlorinated chicken is corbyn" is but one example of how childish the manboy is

hes just not in any way fit to be in politics,his career purely stems from etonian privilege.
(15-09-19, 12:22 PM)Viridian Wrote: Interesting interview with Paul Lever, a retired British ambassador:

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/media/uploads/files/Lever.pdf

He also wrote a book ‘Berlin Rules’, which wasn’t entirely positively reviewed by Kurt Huebner:

https://www.europenowjournal.org/2017/11...erman-way/

Quote from the interview:

“In my experience you don’t necessarily get your way by needlessly irritating or humiliating the people you’re negotiating with. You are more likely to get your way if you can find an outcome which you can represent as satisfactory from their point of view as well.”

fascinating thanks.

the interview particularly highlights current and historical anglo intransigence and pig headedness. i never knew about john majors admin trying to block every eu legislation during the mad cow disease\british beef import ban. what an imbecilic government they were

thats the same stupid tory party though isnt it, we voted for those sycophants in 1979 because jim callaghan proved to be incompetent.

the pendulum swung the other way,the country became too right wing and divided.the difference between 79 and 89 was night and day.

the third way moderate politicians like blair wanted the iraq war, wanted to privatise everything and sell off the family silver. i dont call that moderate

the public stupidly forgot about the 80s and 1990s when they voted the same tory party into power in 2010. david cameron assuaged the public's doubts about his party being labelled the nasty party,he promised to cut immigration, only make the necessary cuts. and the liberal democrats went along with it..

but camerons nasty party supported furthered deregulating the banks as recently as 2007,before they blamed labour for the banking crisis in 2008,the cornerstone of their successful election campaign was a complete lie and fabrication from the very beginning

boJo hilariously argued that gordon brown was an unelected dictator in 2008 or 9 i forget.

anyway,enough of my ranting. the nasty party will never change. i hope the polls are wrong,they are run by biased corporate fatcats after all, but if the majority revote tories back in on a majority, i will endeavour to leave this idiotic country once and for all.
I hope the polls are wrong too. It is despairing to see than some people would approve of that chancer, gamester. As you said, Ranter, this political class brought up in such schools as Eton, might still conflate their silly spoilt children games with the actual governance of a country.

What is also worrying is the amount of lies/fake news/blustering comments that don't shock the average voter anymore. And it is not confinend to the UK.
That is better. It seems the site's a little buggy on my phone, and typing out posts in google docs is preferable . It works fine for you I guess, so the problem must be on my end.

Not all Brits blame the rest of the world for their problems Smile

Imagine how we felt when CaMORON came out with this inimitable cognitive dissonance::

“And Mr Cameron said: "My assessment now is that we probably didn’t cut enough.

"We could have done more, even more quickly, as smaller countries like Ireland had done, to get Britain back in the black and then get the economy moving. Those who were opposed to austerity were going to be opposed — and pretty hysterically — to whatever we did.

"Given all the hype and hostility, and yes, sometimes hatred, we might as well have ripped the plaster off with more cuts early on. We were taking the flak for them anyway. We should have taken advantage of the window of public support for cuts when it was open."

Defending the scale of the cuts, he added: "We were cutting just £1 in every £100 spent, but you’d think we had reinstated the workhouse."

The ex-Tory leader also claimed that Boris Johnson, who has pumped money back into policing, schools and the NHS since becoming Prime Minister, had failed to get fully on board with the Conservative cuts programme.”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/pol...-says-tory

Does he remember when the IMF disowned his cuts program for going too deep too fast ? Or when the EU told him he was cutting all the wrong things and entrenching in equality for generations ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16771939

I can't find the source for my second claim, but hopefully the kind people can remember what I am referring to……..

The UN has had its turn in rounding the U.K aswell, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co....k-48354692

Why are BRITISH POLITICIANS SO STUPID???????????????????????
As I see it, British politicians are amateurish more than stupid. They don't take politics seriously. Which is maybe why we EU people are so amazed at the sight of British politics. 

My humble explanation is that the UK has lived an unprecedented political stability, never was invaded nor partitioned... while other European countries know what political upheavals mean. Faced with the dividing Brexit issue and the historical choice of deciding its place in today's world, much of this stability is being tested, constitutionally, politically, economically and at the level of its national cohesion.

The UK is facing not only the difficult choices brought by the Brexit referendum but the need to modernise its inner workings.
I tried to like your comment but it win't let me.

You are right, we have had a lot of peace and have become complacent and negligent.

The 80s yielded thatcherism and the 70s yielded mass strikes. but thzt is a distant memory

But, who am I to complain lol, even now I think the gilets jaune have started up again and is there not a big strike on the paris metro?

who comprises this instalment of gilets jaune,are they a broad, differing ideologies movement ? Do you support elements of them or non?

And yes britain needs to modernize its ancient electoral system, the electoral commission needs replacing, the constitution needs codifying.

The media needs clear regulation