Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News articles of interest (EU politics)
Japan and EU could gain while U.S. and China feel the pain in trade war, says U.N. report  The Japan Times

It predicts that the European Union will be the biggest winner, taking home some $70 billion in additional trade thanks to the trade war.

Japan, Mexico and Canada will meanwhile each capture more than $20 billion in additional trade thanks to the tariff war, the study found.

European Union likely to profit the most from US-China trade war, UN group says South China Morning Post

The European Union is set to be the biggest winner of the trade war that has raged between the United States and China since last year, according to a new study by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
Personally, I hope that Norway, not being in EU, gets at least secondary benefits from the EU-Japan deal as I haven't checked yet if they are going to be part of it (we are not in customs union after all). If not, I guess I hope Japanese open some of their lovely stores in Stockholm and I'll just have to shop in Sweden.

More on topic, I am rather looking forward to seeing Europe go forward as the stable and civilized part of the world, leaving its dark history of war and colonialism behind. It makes me happy to see things actually go the right way on a large scale.
(05-02-19, 11:31 AM)Ashtaret Wrote: ....

More on topic, I am rather looking forward to seeing Europe go forward as the stable and civilized part of the world, leaving its dark history of war and colonialism behind. It makes me happy to see things actually go the right way on a large scale.

I hope you're right about things 'going the right way'. I look at LePen, Wilders, Gaulandt and all the other mad hatters trying to destroy things from the 'inside' and throw a wobbly. Honestly it's so frustrating: large parts of the world envy our stability, safety and solidarity and instead of being grateful all these pinheads can think about it blowing it up.
I share your concerns, Moonfire. But as Ajda rightly says

No paseran
In the meantime, re the EU27-US trade talks:

Trump to EU: Play ball or ‘we’re going to tariff the hell out of you’ (25 Feb 2019)

U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday issued a renewed threat to Brussels that the EU has to "play ball" in trade talks or "we're going to tariff the hell out of you."

"The European Union is very, very tough. Very, very tough. They don’t allow our products in. They don’t allow our farming goods in," Trump said at a meeting with U.S. governors, according to a transcript from the White House. He added that "maybe, in certain ways," the EU is "tougher than China."...

Washington is, however, pushing the EU to include agriculture in talks, which Brussels refuses. Trump has until mid-May to decide whether to impose tariffs, potentially set at 25 percent, on auto imports in the name of national security, which the EU fears will be used as leverage in negotiations.

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-t...ut-of-you/

TRANSCRIPT of Trump's comments:

Remarks by President Trump at the 2019 White House Business Session with our Nation’s Governors (25 Feb 2019)
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-sta...governors/

POTUS Trump is not going to get anywhere with the EU27 re food. But he should be able to dump the crap US food into Global Britain.
Tusk did it again - at the Sharm press conference, from Politico:

SHARM JEALOUSY

Egypt’s ruler Abdel Fattah el-Sisi got a hearty round of applause from the Arab journalists in the room at the closing news conference of the first-ever summit between the EU and the League of Arab States. What prompted the adulation? El-Sisi, responding to a question from German dpa newswire reporter Ansgar Haase, said the EU should refrain from commenting on the human rights situation in Arab League countries

European Council President Donald Tusk, displaying his dry-as-dust humor, quipped in response: “I appreciate the enthusiasm of your Egyptian media, that doesn’t happen to us in Brussels.”

The Commission’s Secretary-General Martin Selmayr, sitting in the front row at the conference, looked over at the EU’s chief communicators Preben Aamann and Margaritis Schinas, according to an earwitness, and said: “There must be something wrong with us, something we do wrong.” Which prompted some rare self-criticism, we’re told.

It was a remarkable press conference, during which Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker was forced to contradict Arab League’s Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit’s claim that “no one” had mentioned the issue of human rights. “It’s not true that we didn’t talk about human rights,” Juncker said, adding that he himself had spoken about it in his speech.

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/bruss...clean-eee/

Go, Tusk!  Cool Cool Cool
(26-02-19, 12:39 PM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: In the meantime, re the EU27-US trade talks:

Trump to EU: Play ball or ‘we’re going to tariff the hell out of you’ (25 Feb 2019)

Washington is, however, pushing the EU to include agriculture in talks, which Brussels refuses. Trump has until mid-May to decide whether to impose tariffs, potentially set at 25 percent, on auto imports in the name of national security, which the EU fears will be used as leverage in negotiations.

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-t...ut-of-you/

POTUS Trump is not going to get anywhere with the EU27 re food. But he should be able to dump the crap US food into Global Britain.

British farmers fear US pressure on GMOs after Brexit Euractiv 26-02-2019

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK government should not rush to strike a trade deal with countries like the United States, an official from the UK National Farmers Union told EURACTIV.com in London.
BREAKING NEWS:

Finnish government was disbanded today because of a disagreement between the Parliament and the Prime Minister. I guess Finns will now have things other than Brexit to do in the coming weeks.

Live: Finland reacts to surprise resignation of government
(YLE News in English - official Finnish TV, 8 March 2019)

I mean, I am not a Finn, but eh, we don't have a Finn and we used to live there, so I guess I can help represent that too! Big Grin
Here is another article with a bit more detail:

Govt falls: President asks cabinet to continue in caretaker capacity  (Yle English, 8 March 2019)
(08-03-19, 03:52 PM)Ashtaret Wrote: Finnish government was disbanded today because of a disagreement between the Parliament and the Prime Minister. I guess Finns will now have things other than Brexit to do in the coming weeks.

I read at your link:

On 14 April voters will choose a new parliament and government in Finland, with 200 MPs to be elected.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/live_...t/10679514

So now we have:

* Spain with caretaker government - elections on 28 April

* Finland with caretaker government - elections on 14 April

* Estonia with caretaker government - no new coalition government yet after elections
See here:
Centre rejects Reform's offer to begin coalition talks (8 Mar 2019)
https://news.err.ee/918142/centre-reject...tion-talks

PLUS:

* EU elections from 23-26 May

Is there any other EU member currently without a 'proper' government with full decision-making powers?

Well, it may be quite interesting when Yes from all 27 EU members is needed to extend Article 50 - with three of the 27 having temporary governments (which may lack powers needed to grant extension).