Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
News articles of interest (Brexit)
Star 
News articles of interest (Brexit)

You can debate here news articles about Brexit from UK and EU27 perspective.

_______

Try to debate 'your' news article on the forum which corresponds best to the topic of the article, where you will also get the most interested posting community. Here, you can debate articles about Brexit. Maybe the topic of 'your' article corresponds better to these other debates about news articles:
Mark Carney predicts '£16bn boost to economy' if Theresa May secures Chequers Brexit deal with EU
Theresa May‘s blueprint for Brexit could give the economy a £16bn boost if the prime minister reaches a deal with Brussels, the governor of the Bank of England reportedly told a meeting of the cabinet.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po...38906.html

Has the British establishment abandoned "project fear", or is it waking up to the reality that 'no deal' or no withdrawal agreement, no transition period and no future trade deal is now the most likely outcome?  

The "boost" Carney is referring to presumably relates to a 'no deal' baseline which seems sensible given the lack of substantial progress in advancing the withdrawal agreement.  Carney's approach is apparently also to ensure brexiters can't dismiss it as more "project fear" - it's a shame that the Indy have reported on it in such a way as to mislead its readership.  As a result, it appears most posters are misinterpreting it as a boost relative to the status quo, i.e. continued EU membership, however this is patently untrue.

I'd welcome you thoughts on this new "analysis" and its presentation (accepting that the Chequers 'deal' is dead).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20] Ajda: Moved post to another thread. Added title. Content not changed.
EU concessions on Irish border? (Express)

Well, it's the Express  Big Grin

But the murmurings are technology can plausibly be used to protect the SM - so what were all those Independent commentators laughing about during this notion as the UK played out its ideas?

Excerpt from The Express - you'll note the quotations of Sabine Weyand, Barnier's deputy.

Quote:At the meeting, which aimed at agreeing on a “revised draft of the Northern Ireland protocol”, Sabine Weyand, Mr Barnier’s deputy, told the other ambassadors: “The controls or checks only have to be organised in a way that would not endanger the EU single market.”

She added that “for the main part, these controls would not have to happen at a border”, accepting the argument of the British Government that technology could solve the issue of “checks” between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Additionally, the ambassadors agreed that the deal would exclusively be for Northern Ireland, in a bid to avoid Scottish Nationalists asking for the same protocol

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/101852...el-barnier

Cool

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20] Ajda: Post moved to another thread. Contents not changed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(17-09-18, 11:40 AM)Ben Wrote: Well, it's the Express  Big Grin

Enough said...
(17-09-18, 11:40 AM)Ben Wrote: EU concessions on Irish border? (Express)

Well, it's the Express  Big Grin

But the murmurings are technology can plausibly be used to protect the SM - so what were all those Independent commentators laughing about during this notion as the UK played out its ideas?

Excerpt from The Express - you'll note the quotations of Sabine Weyand, Barnier's deputy.

Quote:At the meeting, which aimed at agreeing on a “revised draft of the Northern Ireland protocol”, Sabine Weyand, Mr Barnier’s deputy, told the other ambassadors: “The controls or checks only have to be organised in a way that would not endanger the EU single market.”

She added that “for the main part, these controls would not have to happen at a border”, accepting the argument of the British Government that technology could solve the issue of “checks” between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Additionally, the ambassadors agreed that the deal would exclusively be for Northern Ireland, in a bid to avoid Scottish Nationalists asking for the same protocol

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/101852...el-barnier

Cool

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20] Ajda: Post moved to another thread. Contents not changed.

Ben,

In relation to technological solutions for the Irish border - we, THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND, won't allow out country to become a giant Nineteen-Eighty Four type experiment.  Having grown up along the border, I KNOW such solutions will fail. Why? Because we will ensure they will fail, just like we ensured the Brits' attempt to 'secure' the border during the 'troubles' failed because we made it fail - I like all border residents played my (peaceful) part....  Why? Because we don't recognise the British occupation of the six counties and never will.  The border is a visceral reminder of that occupation.

We also know the Brits are proposing technological solutions to the Irish border problem, knowing full well, from past experience that it will fail and that a hard border will be an inevitable consequence.  We can read the right-wing, Euroskeptic British press in advance "border controls introduced due to smuggling activities linked to Irish republican paramilitary gangs".  We're not that stupid.  

Your choice - cliff edge brexit next March or Irish border backstop.  Which is it?

The colony strikes back!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=20]

I moved our previous debate about 

Where the photo on the 'Breaking Point' poster came from

and about refugees to a new location:

The refugee crisis 
http://debateuncensored.x10host.com/foru...php?tid=98

on the EU politics forum. 

Please go to the above link to debate this issue.
Many in Europe wish to punish the UK for leaving the EU, says Luxembourg finance minister
(24 January 2018)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/24/brexit-m...ister.html

Copy of Guest's comment about the article:

As has long be known, and clarified by Pierre Gramegna the EU are looking to punish the UK for having the temerity to leave the EU. 

This undermines everything its adherents state about its demands placed onto the UK and highlights the motive of vindictiveness rather than 'good faith' in these negotiations. Like the Irish border for example, or the infamous "punishment clauses" the EU have added to, or considered adding to proposed agreements. 

This admittance basically flaws all zealous arguments based in favour of the EU.

Incidentally, this thread should remain as a point of contention not deleted or removed by pro-EU adherents. I would argue to those who are able to hover over this and delete to rather refute this claim and allow discussion to evolve.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20] Ajda: I moved this thread here from another location.

At Guest
Thanks for pointing out an error in the quick instructions for commenting on news articles - I inserted a correction.
You keep posting here as a 'Guest', opening many new threads without even using a nickname. You also open threads in wrong locations - you opened the above discussion in the UK politics forum, when it is clearly about Brexit and not about internal UK politics. If you want to keep engaging in the debate quite frequently, please register as a member - or at least use a nickname when posting.
At Dear Poor Guest

Perhaps you should read a bit more carefully and not take everything in the press for granted. As far as I can tell from your link, Gramegna is mostly expressing his fears for a no-deal:

“Let’s be more positive. Let’s try to de-dramatize the whole negotiation.”

Logically if he says that people won’t admit it, how can he possibly know? How reliable is he as a witness? It seems quite silly to resort to this kind of rumour or gossip for your information. Especially when you use it for your wild conclusions. To do so would be quite gullible and even a bit unbalanced psychologically. Or people might even suspect you are a russian troll.

If you are really keen to try to paint the EU as ‘evil’, please come with something more substantial and use credible sources. Thanks!
(30-09-18, 09:06 AM)Viridian Wrote: At Dear Poor Guest

Perhaps you should read a bit more carefully and not take everything in the press for granted. As far as I can tell from your link, Gramegna is mostly expressing his fears for a no-deal:

“Let’s be more positive. Let’s try to de-dramatize the whole negotiation.”

Logically if he says that people won’t admit it, how can he possibly know? How reliable is he as a witness? It seems quite silly to resort to this kind of rumour or gossip for your information. Especially when you use it for your wild conclusions. To do so would be quite gullible and even a bit unbalanced psychologically. Or people might even suspect you are a russian troll.

If you are really keen to try to paint the EU as ‘evil’, please come with something more substantial and use credible sources. Thanks!

You obviously post on the Independent - Russian troll, that's a new one!

Interesting you decide to pull out a benign quote from Pierre.

He also said this,

"There are many people out there who are trying to punish the United Kingdom without saying it — if you ask them they will deny it," he said. "Let's try to be more positive, let's try to de-dramatize the whole negotiation."

You do realise, you don't have to admit you are playing football when you are actually playing football?

I certainly would take his words with more credibility than your pseudo-psycho opinion, as he is a lot closer to the "unified" union and psyche of his peers to infer the opinions of others.
[quote pid='652' dateline='1538287789']
Many in Europe wish to punish the UK for leaving the EU, says Luxembourg finance minister
(24 January 2018)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/24/brexit-m...ister.html

Copy of Guest's comment about the article:

As has long be known, and clarified by Pierre Gramegna the EU are looking to punish the UK for having the temerity to leave the EU. 

This undermines everything its adherents state about its demands placed onto the UK and highlights the motive of vindictiveness rather than 'good faith' in these negotiations. Like the Irish border for example, or the infamous "punishment clauses" the EU have added to, or considered adding to proposed agreements. 

This admittance basically flaws all zealous arguments based in favour of the EU.

Incidentally, this thread should remain as a point of contention not deleted or removed by pro-EU adherents. I would argue to those who are able to hover over this and delete to rather refute this claim and allow discussion to evolve.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20] Ajda: I moved this thread here from another location.

At Guest
Thanks for pointing out an error in the quick instructions for commenting on news articles - I inserted a correction.
You keep posting here as a 'Guest', opening many new threads without even using a nickname. You also open threads in wrong locations - you opened the above discussion in the UK politics forum, when it is clearly about Brexit and not about internal UK politics. If you want to keep engaging in the debate quite frequently, please register as a member - or at least use a nickname when posting.
[/quote]

The thread isn't located in the wrong location, this is internal opinions regarding Brexit and the "mass media agenda" pro-EU adherrents hold in contempt. Therefore it sits perfectly in here, but because you have been on the wrong end of flagging at the Independent you now have the keys to supress and close down any threads you deem anti-EU, are hide and compile them all into one. While in the EU thread we have innocuous threads popping up all the time - like 15 years wasted, or whatever that have very little relevance on today's current proceedings.

Plus, as a "guest" the operating system on this forum allows me to open a thread when I see fit. The one person who gets to spam this forum with threads seems to be Ajda (you), and because it's pro-EU it isn't censored.