Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(13) The battle for Number 10 (after 7 June 2019)
(13) The battle for Number 10 (after 7 June 2019)

On 7 June 2019, PM May finally resigned as the Tory leader. The knives are out. So I have now opened a new, 13th season of the Great Brexit Face-Off. Here we continue the debate about on-going Brexit twists and turns and flops and eye-rolls.

Just so that you keep track: we are now in extension of extension and waiting for extension of extension of extension.

The motto of season 13: Please do not waste this time.
https://youtu.be/OG9300afaY4?t=83

The Brexit clock:
  • 2,327 days since Cameron announced the Brexit referendum (the Bloomberg speech, 23 Jan 2013)
  • 1,493 days since the British voters voted for a Tory government which promised a Brexit referendum (7 May 2015)
  • 1,460 days since MPs voted with a large majority for the referendum bill = approval of the referendum (544 to 53 on 9 June 2015)
  • 1080 days since the referendum (23 June 2016)
  • 857 days since the MPs voted with a large majority to trigger Article 50 = approval of exit (494 to 122 on 1 Feb 2017)
  • 801 days since the UK triggered Article 50 = start of the legal procedure for exit (29 March 2017)
  • 730 days since the British voters voted with a large majority for the parties supporting Brexit with exit from the customs union and the single market (8 June 2017)
  • 719 days since the start of negotiations (19 June 2017)
  • 547 days since the UK signed the Joint Report including the Irish backstop (8 December 2017)
  • 195 days since endorsement of the WA at the special EU summit (25 November 2018)
  • 144 days since the 1st meaningless vote in HoC about the WA (15 Jan 2018)
  • 88 days since the 2nd meaningless vote in HoC (12 Mar 2019)
  • 71 days since no-Brexit day (B1-day) and the 3rd meaningless vote (29 March 2019)
  • 59 days since approval of extension to extension (10 April 2019)
  • 57 days since B2-day (12 April)
  • 13 days since EU elections (26 Mar 2019)
  • 1 day since PM May's resignation as Tory leader (7 Jun 2019)
  • today (8 Jun 2019)
  • 12 days to review of Brexit progress at the European Council (20 Jun 2019)
  • 24 days to the first session of the new European Parliament (2 July 2019)
  • 131 days to the October meeting of the European Council (17 Oct 2019)
  • 145 days to B3-day and new European Commission (31 Oct 2019)
Tick, tock ... "I hear no whistling, just the clock ticking." (Barnier on 12 July 2017 = 696 days ago)

Season 12 is here (it is closed, so any unfinished debates from season 12 are continuing here at 13):
http://debateuncensored.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=319

In case you missed something or want to binge-read, you can find all previous seasons here (see the numbered threads):
http://debateuncensored.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2&datecut=9999&prefix=0&sortby=subject&order=asc
Hojla, everyone, want to hear something REALLY funny (even for breximess standards)?

It is now 12 days (= 8 working days) until the 27 PMs/presidents review the Brexit progress in the UK since extension of extension on 10 April (= 59 days ago). Ha ha ha.

European Council (Art. 50) conclusions, 10 April 2019
9. The European Council will remain seized of the matter and will review progress at its meeting in June 2019.
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/39...ons-en.pdf

This time the Brits failed to even pretend that they are working on Brexit (even no meaningless votes, nothing). Have a look at the dates of Brexit votes in HoC here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament..._on_Brexit

Exclusive: Debate Uncensored has seen the draft of Tusk's report on Brexit progress to the EU27 Council - here is the full text:

(1) On 2 May 2019, there were local elections in England and Northern Ireland. Both the Leavers and the Remainers claimed victory.

(2) On 23 May 2019, there were EU elections in the UK. Both the Leavers and the Remainers claimed victory.

(3) On 6 June 2019, the UK official in charge of Brexit border plans Karen Wheeler resigned.

(4) On 7 June 2019, PM Theresa May resigned. The UK now has a caretaker government.

(5) No more Brexit work is planned in the UK until the summer holidays of the UK parliament.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  I am sure that Macron will be very impressed.
Gloves off:

Quote:EU commissioner: Jeremy Hunt is a pure nationalist with no clue about history (7 Jun 2019)  Cool  

Vytenis Andriukaitis challenges Tory leadership hopeful to debate him on EU and Soviet history.

Vytenis Andriukaitis is angry — at British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

The European health commissioner challenged the Tory leadership hopeful to a debate about a statement Hunt made last year comparing the European Union and the Soviet Union.

"I am ready to debate with all guys around me: Salvini, Hunt, Trump," he told POLITICO Friday. Hunt, he added, is a "pure conservative, nationalist and without post-colonial thinking."

At the Conservative Party conference in October last year, Hunt infuriated many in Brussels by likening the EU's tactics in the Brexit negotiations to those used by the USSR.

"When Jeremy Hunt tells that story ... of course, he is young, he has no clue, no understanding about what? About history," said Andriukaitis.

Andriukaitis, a former Lithuanian health minister, was born in a Soviet gulag after his parents were deported to Siberia on Joseph Stalin's orders. He was twice arrested for involvement in the anti-Soviet underground movement and was instrumental in establishing an independent Lithuania in 1990.

"I tell to Jeremy Hunt ... if you know something about Soviet totalitarianism please ask me, I can explain to you all the issues and it is ... because of my life," he said. "I never saw trees, I never saw forest because it was tundra. I had no understanding of day and night because I was born there [in a gulag] and then stayed there."

Last year, he penned a deeply personal open letter in which he stated: "Likening the EU to the USSR is wrong and offensive."

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commi...t-history/

I strongly recommend you also read Andriukaitis' open letter:
Likening the EU to the USSR: not unreasonable? (4 Oct 2018)
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissi...sonable_en

Go, Andriukaitis!  Cool  

I should just add that after all those sharp responses to Hunt's USSR blunder, Hunt went on to commit another USSR gaffe when he said during his visit to Ljubljana in February 2019 that Slovenia was a "Soviet vassal state":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQDutJCidA

Moron means moron. But hey, he is not just the British foreign secretary, but also a 'serious' candidate to become the British PM!

I surely would like to watch the Andriukaitis vs Hunt TV debate - I think that it would be very interesting. Apart from the difference between the Soviet Union and the European Union, they could also debate public health systems (perhaps the Brits would finally learn that the UK is not the only country in the world with a NHS and would stop treating their NHS as some sort of a national religion).
Want to know what the Irish border problem means? Read this very informative twitter thread by Seamus Leheny, Policy Manager for the Freight Transport Association in Northern Ireland:

https://twitter.com/Freight_NI/status/11...9764240386

Oh, sorry - Leheny is an expert. We do not need those. Best to just use invisible frictionless unicorns.
‘The Fog of War’, the latest from Chris Grey:

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/...f-war.html
Now, after Boris can savely assume not to be taken to court for his lies, he started to go on his next propaganda mission! 
Self confident he proclaimed that he will not pay the 39b the UK owes the EU. Whereas the lie is, that Boris postions the 39b as a fee for a good trade deal.
And his claim to scrap the backstop would be laughable, if it wasn't for the fact that the Tory voters believe him to be able to. So it is only sad! 
I somehow get the impression that the UK population wants to be lied to. Whether it is from Boris, or Jeremy who claims it would be possible to get a CU with the UK sitting at the table..... That cannot end well.
(09-06-19, 09:00 AM)Mico Wrote: Now, after Boris can savely assume not to be taken to court for his lies, he started to go on his next propaganda mission! 
Self confident he proclaimed that he will not pay the 39b the UK owes the EU. Whereas the lie is, that Boris postions the 39b as a fee for a good trade deal.
And his claim to scrap the backstop would be laughable, if it wasn't for the fact that the Tory voters believe him to be able to. So it is only sad! 
I somehow get the impression that the UK population wants to be lied to. Whether it is from Boris, or Jeremy who claims it would be possible to get a CU with the UK sitting at the table..... That cannot end well.

The tory leadership candidates are now all scared of Farage and so, in an attempt not to be outflanked by him, they will become more and more bellicose and insulting - and more and more detached from reality. In the minds of their supporters Teresa May made the crucial mistake of not shouting loudly enough at you pesky Europeans and that is why you completely failed to understand what Britain wants and what Britain deserves. It really is very simple: The UK needs someone to go to Brussels, slam their fist on the table a few times, tell you that you are behaving like Soviets - or Nazis and then you will not only give them their cake but put a cherry on the top.
Personally I'm not sure that this particular negotiating strategy will be effective but then I'm not infected with the quasi-religious virus that is Brexit.
(09-06-19, 09:00 AM)Mico Wrote: Now, after Boris can savely assume not to be taken to court for his lies, he started to go on his next propaganda mission! 

It certainly can't end well.

Don't forget that half the population are Remainers. Among them the level of understanding varies of course. But the level of incredulity and horror amongst the educated is very high. Cynicism about and loathing of Johnson are universal among Remainers.

Also bear in mind that Johnson has only 2 audiences that count at the moment: Tory MPs and Tory members (who choose between the final 2 candidates). There are approx 120,000 of  the latter, and polls have shown that even in a 3-way ballot of Remain / Leave with WA / Leave with No Deal, over half would choose No Deal. They don't believe Johnson is lying to them.
Watched today Andrew Marr Show on YouTube with Esther McVey and Michael Gove. I have to admit that it astonishs me again and again, how these politicians can tell such nonsense and keep a straight face!
Do they get acting lessons, I wonder?
(09-06-19, 10:00 AM)CaroleG Wrote: Don't forget that half the population are Remainers. Among them the level of understanding varies of course. But the level of incredulity and horror amongst the educated is very high. Cynicism about and loathing of Johnson are universal among Remainers.

So WHAT exactly will all those very worried and appalled Remainers that you keep talking about DO about their country sinking ever deeper into fascism? Occasional whingeing on forums is not a method for resisting against the rise of fascism in one's country. Whingeing is just whingeing to make oneself feel better, while ignoring one's democratic duty to own nation, a patriotic duty if you like. Such whingeing is equal to silence - it means consent. It means enabling the rise of fascism.