Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shipless shipping contract and other dodgy Brexit business
From the UK:

Chris Grayling: Government sends health secretary to answer Brexit ferry questions instead of transport chief (4 Mar 2019)  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  
Mr Grayling signed the contracts - which led to £3m payment to Eurotunnel - but 'human shield' Matt Hancock will face MPs
Beleaguered Chris Grayling has risked fresh criticism after failing to personally answer questions from MPs about the Brexit ferries fiasco.
Matt Hancock, the health secretary – rather than the transport secretary – will face the Commons over Friday’s shock £33m payment to Eurotunnel to settle the controversy over cross-Channel contracts.
Labour immediately condemned the decision, claiming Mr Hancock would be acting as Mr Grayling’s “human shield’ later today.
But Downing Street defended the decision on the basis that “the supply of medicines” was a key part of the no-deal cargo that the ferries would bring to Britain.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po...06626.html

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  

The explanation from Downing Street is just hilarious. Why does the UK need the transport secretary at all??? I mean, transport is always about carrying something, i.e. people and/or cargo. 

Besides, according to the fantastic no-deal preparations of the UK government, medicines have priority over food. So when the British people are dying of starvation, they will at least not be suffering from shortage of medicines.

Global Britain = Maduro Venezuela

And still Grayling has not been sacked. Strong and stable. Big Grin
It goes on and on and on:

Grayling ferry fiasco: Eurotunnel will get £33m 'deal or no deal' (4 Mar 2019)  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin   
Transport secretary should be sacked, says Labour, on day he evaded scrutiny in the Commons
The transport secretary, Chris Grayling, is an “international embarrassment” who should be sacked without delay, Labour said after it emerged the government must pay £33m to Eurotunnel over the Brexit ferry fiasco whether or not Theresa May seals a Brussels deal.
Informed sources say the out-of-court settlement made on Friday involves a straight payout to the Channel tunnel train operator despite suggestions by the government to the contrary after an urgent Commons question.
In a further chaotic development, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, faced ridicule when he was sent to replace Grayling to answer the question on Monday evening.
Eurotunnel had taken the government to court over contracts with three ferry companies, one of which had no ships, to transport vital medical supplies from the EU in the event of no deal.
Hancock appeared to come unstuck when asked by the Scottish National party MP Joanna Cherry how much of the £33m would be paid out if there was a deal and the extra ferry capacity was not needed. He suggested it would not be paid over in full unless it was spent on “security” and “resilience” at Eurotunnel’s Folkestone terminal.
The “truth is the £33m is the maximum figure” that could be paid out, he said, adding: “It may not be as high as that but we’ve been clear about the maximum exposure.”
However, sources said the £33m was a conventional out-of-court settlement and was the price of dropping Eurotunnel’s case and would be “paid out, deal or no deal”. The figure was modelled on the loss of business the company would have suffered from freight being diverted to the ferry companies.
Much of Hancock’s time was spent batting away questions about Grayling’s absence.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...rry-fiasco

Ooooo, look,  Eurotunnel got an even better deal than if they had signed a contract - they will get 33 million brexis just like that. Ha ha ha. Oh, I hope that the settlement agreement is in euros.

The UK government just keeps lying - and the British sheeple just keep watching it all.

And it is most entertaining when Labour are claiming that Grayling is an “international embarrassment” - sure he is, but so are Labour. Ha ha ha.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Great use of UK taxpayers' money and serial shameless lying from the UK government:

£33m Eurotunnel payout not recoverable, government confirms (6 Mar 2019)  Big Grin  
Details of out-of-court settlement reveals three £11m payments due whatever Brexit outcome
The government has revealed details of its £33m payout to Eurotunnel, confirming it will hand over three instalments of £11m over the next three years.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...s-grayling

I wonder if other ferry companies (those that actually have ferries) will now sue to UK government for illegal secret deals and demand payment of damages.

In case you are wondering, Grayling is still standing...  Big Grin
(07-03-19, 09:42 AM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Great use of UK taxpayers' money and serial shameless lying from the UK government:

£33m Eurotunnel payout not recoverable, government confirms (6 Mar 2019)  Big Grin  
Details of out-of-court settlement reveals three £11m payments due whatever Brexit outcome
The government has revealed details of its £33m payout to Eurotunnel, confirming it will hand over three instalments of £11m over the next three years.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...s-grayling

I wonder if other ferry companies (those that actually have ferries) will now sue to UK government for illegal secret deals and demand payment of damages.

In case you are wondering, Grayling is still standing...  Big Grin

But, on the first payment due date, GBP will be worthless. GBP 33 m will fetch maybe 10 USD. Hope Eurotunnel has taken that into consideration to do a forex futures or some exotic derivatives
Not to forget that the Commission is directing unililateral short-term, time-limited initiatives in support of the interests of E27 countries in the area of transport.

These include legal measures to enable limited air transport services from UK into E27, truck and bus services and rail services and they are all wholly conditional upon the UK Gov implementing equivalent legal measures.   That is to say Grayling has to realise that he needs to do something, since these are all transport measures.    

Absent any legal reciprocal measures passed through UK Parliament, there is no guarantee of the EU measures. this will mean very large problems for transport.

Is Grayling even aware I wonder ?   What is he doing about it ?  Any ideas ?
(07-03-19, 09:59 AM)Ramier Wrote: Not to forget that the Commission is directing unililateral short-term, time-limited initiatives in support of the interests of E27 countries in the area of transport.

Also, the EU27 have established a new maritime transport corridor from Ireland to continental EU27 months ago, and also allocated funds to support it.
At this rate of unpreparedness UK² will be a catastrophe on 30th March and there will be none - elected or civil service to run the country. I read somewhere the health minister has already refused to rule out deaths from medical shortages. Rats are abandoning a sinking ship. And, they can cancel Art 50 only before 29th of March. After that they have to reapply like any other 3rd nation. There will be none to do that too or to do anything to manage the country. It is not going to end well.
Ajda wrote  Also, the EU27 have established a new maritime transport corridor from Ireland to continental EU27 months ago, and also allocated funds to support it.

Indeed, and that is a plan that seems Grayling proof.

My point being that the  E27 orders I refer to are 100% contingent on reciprocity from UKGov, meaning Grayling, and I ask whether anything has been done by him.  I keep a watchful eye but I see no evidence.
(07-03-19, 10:35 AM)Ramier Wrote: My point being that the  E27 orders I refer to are 100% contingent on reciprocity from UKGov, meaning Grayling, and I ask whether anything has been done by him.  I keep a watchful eye but I see no evidence.

Yes, I understood that, and you are correct. No evidence. I think the responsibility to sort out the Brexit mess rests will all MPs - and they are all too lazy and too incompetent to actually prepare the UK for Brexit.
Here it is, the UK Position Statement on Aviation.

More like a Niggle Statement in fact.  Still hard to see how this is enacted into law. Maybe they won't ?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-services...of-no-deal