Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shipless shipping contract and other dodgy Brexit business
(11-02-19, 06:40 PM)CaseyJones1900UK2019 Wrote: And another new turn / revelation:

Arklow denies having been a backer of the Shipless Pizza Company:

Supposed backer of no-ships Brexit ferry firm denies having a stake (11 Feb 2019)

Arklow Shipping saw itself as just one of many prospective investors in Seaborne Freight

Sources at Arklow said it had considered investing in Seaborne and providing two ferries, but saw itself as “just a prospective investor, probably in a long line of others”. When it was discovered last week that Seaborne did not have a port agreement in place in Ramsgate, it decided not to pursue talks any further.

If you don’t have an agreement with a port, how can you run a ferry service?” the source said. “We never had an agreement with Seaborne, so when it was reported that we were a backer, that was not the case.

“Seaborne approached us a year ago and we had no further contact until the end of December. There was nothing signed, we were just prospective investors that they had approached like many others, I imagine. We had no agreements with Seaborne or with the Department for Transport.”

Downing Street said on Monday that Theresa May continued to have full confidence in Grayling, amid calls for his resignation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...ad-no-deal

Mistery deepens...    Huh

This sounds more and more like a cheap crime movie:
Where went the money? Follow the money!

Grayling actually told the HoC that he cancelled the contract with Seaborne after their "principal backer" Arklow pulled out. However Arklow had already denied ever being a principal. Essentially Grayling knowing lied to the HoC
Hugely important factoid:

Can you guess (WITHOUT googling) when Chris Grayling of the Shipless Pizza Ferries fame has birthday (month and day) ?

Check here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling

This explains it ALL.  Big Grin
A joke since his birth up to Brexit day!  Big Grin
(12-02-19, 04:53 PM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Hugely important factoid:

Can you guess (WITHOUT googling) when Chris Grayling of the Shipless Pizza Ferries fame has birthday (month and day) ?

Check here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling

This explains it ALL.  Big Grin

Try googling 'what's a grayling' - you will find it is a freshwater fish in the salmon family (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayling_(species) ).

Well I suppose even fish have 'black sheep' in the family ... but it would explain why he didn't see the lack of ships in Seaborne's possession as an immediate obstacle to transporting goods across water .... Big Grin
Ooooo, look, it just goes on and on:

Cabinet minister Chris Grayling to face parliament over claims he ‘misled MPs’ about Brexit ferry deal (12 Feb 2019)
Labour will raise a point of order in the Commons later on Tuesday
Chris Grayling is to face accusations in the Commons that he misled MPs over a botched government ferry contract, with Labour set to demand that the minister justify his claim that no money had been spent on the deal.
The transport secretary told MPs on Monday that the government had spent “no money” on the multimillion-pound contract with Seaborne Freight, but it later emerged that the Department for Transport (DfT) paid external consultants £800,000 to assess the deal and two other freight contracts. 
Mystery also surrounds dredging work still being carried out on Tuesday to prepare the disused Ramsgate port for ferry services. The work is estimated by local campaigners to cost hundreds of thousands of pounds but it is unknown who is footing the bill.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po...75551.html

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  

I mean, the Shipless Pizza Ferries story is a rather incredible farce on its own. Yet it is just a tiny little part of the Brexit saga...
Right now at PMQ:

PM May is totally defending Grayling. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. What a farce of a country.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(13-02-19, 01:19 PM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Right now at PMQ:

PM May is totally defending Grayling. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. What a farce of a country.

... but... how?
(13-02-19, 01:19 PM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Right now at PMQ:

Earlier today I wandered over to the Mail or the Express (can't remember which and it doesn't matter) for my weekly dose of drivel. I ran "Grayling" in their search function and came up with a story that literally made me weep with laughter. It seems that the contract with Seaborne was cancelled because Arklow "pulled out". Arklow, as you all probably know by now, are an Irish company. Rees-Mogg is putting around the idea that the Irish Government and the EU pressured Arklow to pull out. In other words it is all a hideous conspiracy from the horrible unelected bureaucrats in the EUSSR to besmirch the good name of the wonderful Mr Grayling. All the other stories in the same paper were along the lines that "The EU is going to give in at any moment / the EU will collapse next week / Juncker eat babies , etc
Seriously, the people who read these papers are in for a severe shock but don't expect any of them to accept any responsibility. They will always find somebody else to blame.
And on and on and on....

Seaborne ferry contract with Grayling office had no written backing (13 Feb 2019)  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  
Transport department just accepted verbal ‘guarantees’ from firm with no ships, parliament watchdog told
The top civil servant from Chris Grayling’s department has admitted the government did not have a written guarantee of secure financial backing before handing a £13.8m contract to a ferry company with no ships.
Bernadette Kelly, the Department for Transport’s permanent secretary, told the public accounts committee that instead officials accepted verbal guarantees from Seaborne Freight and were reassured that the firm was a “known quantity in the industry”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...s-official

Yet PM May fiercely defended Grayling at PMQ. No heads have rolled...

Honestly, is there another EU country in which the transport secretary or any other minister would survive even a fraction of the Shipless Pizza Ferries scandal? And also have the PM still standing after such ferocious defence of the transport secretary with repeated statements that he enjoys full trust of the PM?

I mean, Slovenia is far from perfect, and much more than I would like does get swept under the carpet, but I do think that such a crazy scandal would have heads rolling.

I will demand from the UK government to pay my popcorn bill.
(13-02-19, 07:28 PM)Ashtaret Wrote: ... but... how?

Waffle, obfuscate and lie with the occasional unicorn-riding fairy thrown in! Simples!

PS
Don't forget the big necklace to help hypnotise people listening to you. Big Grin Big Grin