Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shipless shipping contract and other dodgy Brexit business
Moonfire, Aren't you a bit harsh on Inselaffen Tongue ? I dread that regression in humans might go global.
(10-02-19, 09:42 PM)ClairefromFR Wrote: Moonfire, Aren't you a bit harsh on Inselaffen Tongue ? I dread that regression in humans might go global.

You are of course quite correct about being too harsh on Inselaffen - there are distinct signs of human regression going global and it would be way too easy to attribute it all to a few island dwellers and their moronic Government. Sensible people need to get busy .... Smile
They indeed do. I'm sometimes at a loss about the brakes to be put on human regression. Any idea beside education and political resistance?

That's why I love our forum. As little a gesture that can be, it shows that people of good will are ready to discuss, explain, learn, laugh together whatever the dangerous trends we are observing today.  Heart
Breaking news - Shipless Pizza Ferries alert!

U.K. Sued Over Brexit Deal With Ferry Company Without Boats (11 Feb 2019)  Cool Big Grin Big Grin Exclamation Exclamation  

Eurotunnel says contracts based on “secretive, flawed” process
Case comes days after contract with Seaborne Freight scrapped

The companies that run the Channel tunnel are suing the British government over its award of ferry contracts to handle freight shipments in a no-deal Brexit, just days after one of those contracts, with a startup company that doesn’t own any ships, fell through.

Channel Tunnel Group Ltd. and France-Manche SA accuse the government of a “secretive and flawed procurement exercise” for the backup ferry service in the event of a no-deal Brexit, their lawyer Daniel Beard said in court Monday. The companies together form Eurotunnel, which operates the link between the U.K. and mainland Europe.

The lawsuit challenges the government’s award of ferry contracts to Brittany Ferries of France, Danish shipping firm DFDS and U.K.-based Seaborne Freight for additional freight services between Britain and continental Europe. The 13.8 million-pound ($17.8 million) Seaborne contract was scrapped when it became clear the company, which doesn’t own any ships, wouldn’t meet its requirements, the Department for Transport said Saturday...

Eurotunnel says the first time it heard about the three Brexit ferry contracts was when the Department for Transport announced they had been awarded in December, judge Peter Fraser said as he summarized the case at the hearing. A four-day trial on the dispute will start March 1, Fraser said, because “the urgency of the matter is in my judgment somewhat obvious.”...

The case is Channel Tunnel Group LTD & Anr v. The Secretary of State for Transport, High Court of Justice, Case No. HT-2019-000028

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...erry-plans

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Update:

Today in the HoC Grayling blamed the Irish for everything. Oh, and he will not resign.
(11-02-19, 05:42 PM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Breaking news - Shipless Pizza Ferries alert!
U.K. Sued Over Brexit Deal With Ferry Company Without Boats (11 Feb 2019)  Cool Big Grin Big Grin Exclamation Exclamation  

That is why they need our 39M  Smile
And another new turn / revelation:

Arklow denies having been a backer of the Shipless Pizza Company:

Supposed backer of no-ships Brexit ferry firm denies having a stake (11 Feb 2019)

Arklow Shipping saw itself as just one of many prospective investors in Seaborne Freight

Sources at Arklow said it had considered investing in Seaborne and providing two ferries, but saw itself as “just a prospective investor, probably in a long line of others”. When it was discovered last week that Seaborne did not have a port agreement in place in Ramsgate, it decided not to pursue talks any further.

If you don’t have an agreement with a port, how can you run a ferry service?” the source said. “We never had an agreement with Seaborne, so when it was reported that we were a backer, that was not the case.

“Seaborne approached us a year ago and we had no further contact until the end of December. There was nothing signed, we were just prospective investors that they had approached like many others, I imagine. We had no agreements with Seaborne or with the Department for Transport.”

Downing Street said on Monday that Theresa May continued to have full confidence in Grayling, amid calls for his resignation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...ad-no-deal

Mistery deepens...    Huh

This sounds more and more like a cheap crime movie:
Where went the money? Follow the money!
In French, we say "Où est la femme ?" Where is the lady?
(11-02-19, 06:55 PM)ClairefromFR Wrote: In French, we say "Où est la femme ?" Where is the lady?

There is definitely a 'femme' involved - one who is seriously deluded, completely out of her depth, generally disinterested in the wellbeing of the country and lacks any discernable backbone rendering her incapable of booting this jack-ass out of his undeserved office!!!

Can you guess who this masterpiece of humanity is?  Big Grin Big Grin
(11-02-19, 10:14 AM)ClairefromFR Wrote: They indeed do. I'm sometimes at a loss about the brakes to be put on human regression. Any idea beside education and political resistance?

That's why I love our forum. As little a gesture that can be, it shows that people of good will are ready to discuss, explain, learn, laugh together whatever the dangerous trends we are observing today.  Heart

Yes, I agree - it's good to be able to debate, learn and just share but while that makes me feel better I don't think it does much against the 'regression' problem as those candidates don't seem to hang out on debate sites. 

I have no idea how to reach those whose deluded ideas (re Brexit, asylum-seekers etc.) border on religious fanaticism as I loose patience with them in about 5 seconds flat and have to seriously restrain myself from engaging in a round of 'happy-slapping' when I come across them (which admittedly is not very often as we don't inhabit the same 'bubble'). 

Maybe if I were of the religious persuasion myself I might be able to combat illogical, non-factual and delusional 'opinions' with belief-based arguments they could relate to, but I'm not so I can't. More's the shame.... Cry
Oh no, it just never ends!

Grayling urged to quit as spending on Brexit ferry deal consultants revealed (11 Feb 2019)  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin   
Transport secretary had told MPs no money went on £13.8m Seaborne Freight contract
Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, is facing calls to resign after auditors found his department spent £800,000 of public money on consultants assessing the bid of a company with no ships that was temporarily awarded a Brexit-related ferry contract.
The shadow transport secretary, Andy McDonald, said his opposite number had been shown to be “off the Richter scale of incompetence” after the demise of plans involving the startup Seaborne Freight.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...ays-labour

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  

I ran out of popcorn - again!

I have to quickly write some sort of assessment, send it to the desperate UK government and charge 600,000 € for it.