Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shipless shipping contract and other dodgy Brexit business
They have now cancelled the contract
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...-ship-firm
(09-02-19, 11:08 AM)Blackbeard's Ghost Wrote: They have now cancelled the contract
The UK has caused one more casualty... this thread. RIP
RIP indeed.

And on it's tombstone, it shall be engraved

“It’s just another example of a major disaster on the hands of Chris Grayling, who actually must now really class as the worst secretary of state ever.”
(09-02-19, 11:14 AM)SwaziKing Wrote: The UK has caused one more casualty... this thread. RIP

Oh I am sure more dodgy business will come to light over the short and long term. Remember this is a conservative led government !

Oh and bye the way, hello, have been reading for a while just thought I would sign up.
(09-02-19, 12:15 PM)reesbog Wrote: Oh I am sure more dodgy business will come to light over the short and long term. Remember this is a conservative led government !

Oh and bye the way, hello, have been reading for a while just thought I would sign up.

Welcome!!!
(09-02-19, 11:08 AM)Blackbeard's Ghost Wrote: They have now cancelled the contract

Ha ha!  Big Grin Big Grin

Wonder if the Government will reimburse Ramsgate for the extra costs incurred by keeping (parts of) the port open while the Government faffed about.
(09-02-19, 12:15 PM)reesbog Wrote: Oh I am sure more dodgy business will come to light over the short and long term. Remember this is a conservative led government !

Great to have you here and you're bang on with regards to new dodgy business..
(09-02-19, 03:57 PM)Moonfire Wrote: Wonder if the Government will reimburse Ramsgate for the extra costs incurred by keeping (parts of) the port open while the Government faffed about.

This news came before HM government cancelled the crazy shipless contract:

Brexit: Budget cuts threaten Ramsgate ferry plan (6 Feb 2019)  Big Grin  
A decision is due on budget cuts that could prevent Ramsgate reopening as a ferry port to ease pressure on other routes in the case of a no-deal Brexit.
The government handed Seaborne Freight a £13.8m contract to run a service to Ostend, in Belgium, under contingency plans to alleviate any delays at Dover.
But the local council is considering cuts to port spending that would make roll-on, roll-off services impossible.
Thanet councillors in Kent will vote on the proposed £630,000 cuts later.
The council has been pumping money into the port to keep it in a state of readiness for ferry operations.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47144762

Followed by:

Decision on Ramsgate Brexit port funding on hold (7 Feb 2019)  Big Grin  
A decision on budget cuts which could have prevented Ramsgate reopening as a ferry port in the event of a no-deal Brexit has been delayed.
Thanet District Council had been set to cut £730,000 of spending on the port.
But it delayed the decision at the request of Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.
Council leader Bob Bayford said Mr Grayling had asked that it be postponed while talks with shipping firm Seaborne Freight continued.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47163350

WHAT talks? The Shipless Pizza Ferries got a contract and should be WORKING, not talking!

Oh, and the revelation today that an Irish company was behind the Shipless Pizza Ferries (with 60% ownership) but now walked away is just hilarious. 

UK government terminates £13.8m contract with Seaborne Freight for no-deal Brexit ferries (9 Feb 2019)  Big Grin  
It’s been reported that the contract was cancelled after an Irish company, Arklow Shipping, withdrew its backing.
https://www.thejournal.ie/seaborne-freig...9-Feb2019/

So here is a reconstruction of the shipless-pizza-delivery saga:

* The UK government gave a 14 million brexi contract to a shipless rather-non-existing company without a tender saying that it was all very urgent (it was against the EU rules).

* The total money of over 100 million brexis ALL went to EU27 companies (we know this now after revelation of the involvement of Arklow Shipping): about 45% to each a French and a Dutch company and 10% to an Irish company. Ha ha ha.

* Grayling claimed that it is normal to give money to a shipless company, because he is supporting British startups (with Irish owners).

* It turned out that the shipless pizza delivery also does not have a port, so a Dutch (EU27) company was hired to do the dredging at Ramsgate (I hope they will get paid! - they are the only ones doing any real work).

* The pizzas should be delivered on the Oostende-Ramsgate route. Except that the boss of Oostende port said that he was never contacted over this and that anyway Oostende does not have facilities to run this route.

* The boss of Calais waded in complaining that the secret urgent contract was illegal and claiming that Calais has facilities ready but was not contacted by the UK government. (To support his point = get some money to Calais, he said that there will be no queues in Calais - and has been quoted out of context hundreds of times by the Leavers).

* Eurotunnel too strongly protested about these secret contracts and threatened to take the whole issue to court.

* The local council threatened the UK government to close down the Ramsgate port.

* The Irish company behind the shipless pizza delivery walked away too.

* The UK government keeps claiming that they will get a contractor for Ramsgate-Oostende (in spite of Oostende not being ready???).

* No need for Grayling to resign - it is all a normal part of British 'democracy'.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Welcome reesbog! I love how your userid is yet another play on the name of the hilariously-named Jacob Tree-Frog!

As to the dodgy business, I, for one, absolutely do look forward to seeing what sort of coffee-spitting inducing clusterfuck Mr. Grayling will regale us with next. Unless he's out of brexis now? How's that money tree doing? Maybe it needs more bullshit? I don't have a cow, so I buy it during growing season here, because it's well known that bullshit is great for all sorts of trees!
(10-02-19, 10:52 AM)Ashtaret Wrote: Welcome reesbog! I love how your userid is yet another play on the name of the hilariously-named Jacob Tree-Frog!

....  because it's well known that bullshit is great for all sorts of trees!

Ashtaret please stop insulting tree frogs by linking them to Greese-Smug. Tree frogs are cute. 

As to bullshit making trees grow - Britain will soon be retuned to its natural - woods-covered - state given the amount of bullshit fertilizer being spread. Which will be just as well as it will provide a natural habitat for its monkey-inhabitants! The German term 'Inselaffen' (island monkeys) will finally come into its own and we will have proof that regression in humans is possible on a large scale, too.  Big Grin Big Grin