Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News articles of interest (UK politics)
Shamima Begum: Government 'makes Isis bride stateless' by stripping her British citizenship
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho...87211.html

Well this is just typical of the Britain I have been forced to get to know these past couple of years!

There is a problem with a citizen? Strip them of their citizenship and bingo! Problem solved! Britain can wash its hands of any and all responsibility - before pointing an accusing (but 'clean') finger at others for 'not dealing with their terrorist 'scum'. 

Admittedly dealing with these people is difficult - other European countries have problems taking them back, too but their problems center on 'how do we prosecute these people properly? Can we gather sufficient evidence to ensure a 'guilty' verdict where appropriate and what do we do with Isis family members who have not committed any crimes themselves but have supplied 'psychological' backing to the perpetrators?' Other EU countries are trying to find answers to these questions not trying to abdicate their responsibility by figuring out how to nick the folks' citizenship.

All this is even worse when you consider that a lot of the people in question were very young when they left (and still are). There is a reason why the law treats youths differently to adults. That is not to say that these young people can't be dangerous - of course they can and they must be treated as potentially dangerous until the opposite is proven but to rob them of any chance of returning to their families and a 'normal' life (eventually) will just convince them that Isis and similar organisations were right and 'the West' is the enemy. Doesn't make for a peaceful future - but I suppose as long as they're not in Britain everything's fine - after all Britain had enough to do with helping to create Isis - it can't possibly be expected to deal with the unforseen results of its 'creation' as well. Angry
The particularly bad thing here is that they said "oh she has dual citizenship so we can strip her of the UK one" without even checking with Bangladesh, of which she is not a citizen.

Because who needs to ask former colonies what they think and whether some person is one of theirs, right? We can just ASSume she is, and shove the undesirable person on them, right? 

Makes my blood boil.
(20-02-19, 10:07 PM)Moonfire Wrote: Shamima Begum: Government 'makes Isis bride stateless' by stripping her British citizenship
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho...87211.html
Well this is just typical of the Britain I have been forced to get to know these past couple of years!

Moonfire, thanks for opening this issue. I wanted to open it myself because I feel strongly< about it all.

I find the UK actions beyond totally despicable. This Brits are yet again showing that they are not capable of taking on any responsibility for anything. Above all, I find it vomittingly disgusting that the Brits are yet again trying to dump the consequences of their OWN problem which they have also themselves CREATED on other nations.

And more specifically, the Brits are trying to dump their own problem on Bangladesh which has nothing to do with it all. Because for the Brits Bangladesh is an inferior nation. Such attitudes are beyond despicable - they are FASCIST attitudes of 'us superior, them inferior'.

For the sake of argument: if the ISIS bride's parents immigrated to the UK from the US (with say Bangladeshi heritage, but with their daughter never have been a US citizen), would perhaps the Brits DARE to dump the ISIS bride on the US like they are trying to do with Bangladesh?

The root of the problem is in the illegal and totally disastrous US/UK attack on Iraq. By international war law, the occupier is responsible for the wellbeing of the occupied nations, and above all for safety of the civilians in the occupied territory, including against any new rebel groups. Hey, only one million dead Iraqi civilians due to the insanely aggressive US/UK duo, and counting. Where Obama (US) Blair (UK) and Putin (Russia) have all said on the record that in effect the US/UK duo largely created ISIS. And also largely increased the level of international terrorism.

So you see Bangladesh really did not attack Iraq and then go home creating the power vacuum in which ISIS was established and then spread from Iraq to Syria. And then this US/UK/Saudi Arabia blah blah blah 'coalition' quasi kept bombing ISIS, with the ISIS territory only spreading and with a lot of 'western' weapons and western-sponsored and trained moderate rebels (remember them - they never existed) joining the jihadist extremists - either ISIS or Saudi-supported AL Nusra/Al Queda. ISIS/Caliphate only stopped spreading and even began losing its territory after Russia came in (legally unlike the 'coalition', upon request of the Syrian government).

So the thing with ISIS and ISIS-related terrorism is that the US/UK duo created them.

But there is also this sacred concept of citizenship - sacred to anyone who even remotely understands what human rights are all about. Citizenship is not about passports - the ONLY nation which confuses these two things to my knowledge is the UK, as far as I can see due to its imperial history which it has still not dealt with. Citizenship is a concept of belonging to a community and being loyal to it; it comes with rights and obligations. The obligation of a citizen to defend your country should it be attacked and the obligation to actively participate in democratic processes, for example, and the obligation of the community/state to take care of you. Not everyone in our communities are loyal citizens, just like not everyone respects the law in other aspects hence we all have some criminals. However, eroding the rights of ANY person means eroding of MY rights.

I just cannot believe that in the UK ONE person = the home secretary (unelected to this position) has the right to strip UK citizens of their citizenship completely legally (as long as they are dual citizens - but these are the limitations of INTERNATIONAL law, not any British principles and values). Only DICTATORS have such immense power over people.

The UK is indeed a nasty fascist dictatorship. I am shocked that polls show that some 80% of the British people SUPPORT cancelling the UK citizenship to ISIS supporters - all done single-handedly by Javid (WHO the hell is HE???).

The UK and ISIS are locked in a deadly game - deadly for democracy and UK's future. With support of 80% of the British people, ISIS is winning in the UK - eroding the western values of human rights. Well, done, Brits. Where are now all those ever so very pro-EU Remainers? Did they 'forget' to stand for the shared European values or did they perhaps never endorse them?

The UK is just demonstrating several times per day to the international community what a despicable nasty nation it is.

Citizenship is, just like the voting right, a universal and unalienable right in democratic countries. Erode these rights at your peril - it is a slippery slope and you will be next, as history repeatedly shows.
(21-02-19, 11:20 PM)Ashtaret Wrote: Because who needs to ask former colonies what they think and whether some person is one of theirs, right? We can just ASSume she is, and shove the undesirable person on them, right? 

Indeed. It is disgusting at very many levels. I would like to see the Brits pull this 'trick' with POTUS Trump. Oh, I forgot - the Brits are crawling in dust at his feet.
Michael Cohen is giving evidence before the House in the USA and in his preamble mentioned that Trump was " a racist, conman and liar".
If there was a similar procedure available in the UK then I think these comments could be equally attributed to Teresa May.
There is an old adage that "you get the politicians you deserve".
Mmmmm !
(27-02-19, 06:49 PM)reesbog Wrote: If there was a similar procedure available in the UK then I think these comments could be equally attributed to Teresa May.

There are many strong parallels between Trump US and Brexit UK.
(22-02-19, 12:12 AM)Ajda Slovenia Wrote: Indeed. It is disgusting at very many levels. I would like to see the Brits pull this 'trick' with POTUS Trump. Oh, I forgot - the Brits are crawling in dust at his feet.

The worst aspect of this is the inability of many people in the UK to see that holding offensive views is not a sufficient reason for stripping citizenship from someone. Seem to recall an important history lesson connected with similar types of thinking.......
Not all the people in the UK parliamentary system are idiots !
This heretical statement comes after listening to this youTube from one member of the House of Lords.
Someone gets it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEMt8IZL3w
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics...-1.3836689

Quote:A “rough” sketch is beginning to emerge around how a hard border would be avoided if there is a no-deal Brexit, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said.

Speaking at Fine Gael’s national conference in Wexford town, Mr Varadkar said some Brexiteers are “still in the cake and eat it space” but that his Government was waiting to see how the third vote on Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement plays out.
Is Theresa May the worst politician ever ?

Her leadership is in its dying days. She is on her way out, whether within days, weeks or months. Despite all her duty, she will be remembered as one of the most inadequate and disastrous leaders the country has ever had.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/opini...a-may.html